All Valley View parents are encouraged to volunteer in classrooms, on committees and for school activities.
Volunteering in the Classroom
Talk to your teacher about each class’ policy on volunteering in the classroom. Each teacher determines his or her classroom needs and individually organizes parent volunteers to help meet those needs. You are encouraged to talk to your child’s teacher early in the year (perhaps at Back-to-School Night) to find out the preferred ways for you to make the best use of your valuable volunteer hours. Possibilities may include driving on field trips, assisting with a reading group, or providing in-classroom assistance for special projects.
Adults volunteering in the classrooms are required to have a negative TB test on file in the office.
Being a Room Parent
Those of you who decide to be very active in your child’s classroom should consider becoming a Room Parent. This is an exciting opportunity that offers hands-on experience in making your child’s class the best it can be. Being a Room Parent also rewards you with a positive rapport with the teacher. You can simplify this job by sharing tasks with other parent volunteers.
The room parent acts as a liaison between the teachers, the PTA, and class families. Responsibilities vary based on each classroom’s need, but may include assisting the teacher in coordinating field trips, collections for class gifts, coordinating class parties and coordinating class volunteers. The room parent duties also include facilitating communications between the school and the families of the class by maintaining the class roster, forwarding e-mails, making phone calls, attending PTA voting meetings and organize classroom parents for school-wide events. No previous experience is necessary. This is a great way to get to know the teacher and other parents, be informed, and be involved in the school and your child’s education. For more information, please contact your child’s teacher in the first week of school.
Click here to read more about Room Parent Responsibilities.
Volunteering for PTA Fundraisers and Events
PTA fundraising enriches our curriculum with arts education, P.E., field trips, science and technology enrichment, and interactive assemblies, and also pays for three staff positions.
Valley View needs parent volunteers of all kinds with all talents and energies. Print out this form and turn it into the office. We would love your help.
Click here to read more about our Volunteer Opportunities
All prospective volunteers must first register for a LAUSD Volunteer Parent/Guardian Account in the following way:
- Access the LAUSD Parent/Guardian Account registration page at https://volunteerapp.lausd.net
- Select "I am a LAUSD parent/guardian" or "I am a LAUSD community member."
- Click on "Register for a LAUSD Parent/Guardian Account."
- Once on the LA USD Parent/Guardian Account registration site, a prospective volunteer will be required to enter his name and a valid email account. The prospective volunteer will receive an email to complete the registration process, including the creation of an account password.
The following are approved LAUSD fingerprinting locations:
- 333 S. Beaudry Ave., 15th Floor Los Angeles CA 90017 (213) 241-6140
- 5607 Capistrano Ave. Woodland Hills CA 91367 (818) 587-4300
- 6505 Zelzah Ave. Reseda CA 91335 (818) 654-1600
- 944 West 77th St. Los Angeles CA 90044 (323) 753-3321
- 611 Jackson St. Los Angeles CA 90012 (213) 633-3500 .IF'A
- 2060 West 156th St. Gardena CA 90249 (310) 515-3010
- 312 N. Garey St. Los Angeles CA 90012 (213) 346-2160
- The fingerprinting fee is currently $56.00. Neither LAUSD nor the school pays this cost. If available, funds provided by the Parent Teacher Association (PTA), Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO), a school's Booster Club, and/or other donated funding may be used.